How close can I weld, braze, or solder near a ProPress fitting?
The Viega ProPress System revolutionized the way pipes are joined by reducing connection time to 7 seconds or less and eliminating the need for burn permits and fire watches. As this method grows in popularity, we hear many questions about proper use. One of the most common question we are asked by customers is: How close can I weld, braze, or solder near a ProPress fitting?
What are the Minimum distance requirements when soldering or brazing near existing ProPress fittings?
Viega answers this important question in the Viega ProPress Systems Installation Manual. Essentially the distance is a multiple of the size of the tube diameter.
- Can you solder next to ProPress fittings? Yes. When soldering next to ProPress fittings, the installer must remain at least three tube diameters away from the connection to prevent damage to the sealing element.
- Can you braze next to ProPress fittings? When brazing near an existing ProPress fitting, the installer must remain at least nine tube diameters away from the connection.
Please use the chart below to determine the minimum distance required when soldering or brazing connections near existing Viega ProPress connections.
|Tubing Diameter||Soldering Min Distance (inches)||Soldering Min Distance (mm)||Brazing Min Distance (inches)||Brazing Min Distance (mm)|
|1/2 in||1-1/2 in||38 mm||4-1/2 in||114 mm|
|3/4 in||2-1/4 in||57 mm||6-3/4 in||712 mm|
|1 in||3 in||76 mm||9 in||229 mm|
|1-1/4 in||3-3/4 in||95 mm||11-1/4 in||286 mm|
|1-1/2 in||4-1/2 in||114 mm||13-1/2 in||343 mm|
|2 in||6 in||153 mm||18 in||457 mm|
|2-1/2 in||7-1/2 in||191 mm||22-1/2 in||572 mm|
|3 in||9 in||229 mm||27 in||686 mm|
|4 in||12 in||305 mm||36 in||915 mm|
*Chart above shows the minimum distance between soldering/brazed connections with existing ProPress connections. For information on distances required between two ProPress fittings, see our previous blog post, What is the minimum distance between ProPress fittings?
It is important to note that the installer should take these additional precautions to keep the existing Viega ProPress connection cool.
- Wrapping the connection with a cold, wet rag
- Fabricating solder connections prior to installing the press fitting
- Making sure the tube has cooled before installing the fitting
- Applying “spray type” spot freezing
- Ensuring the tubing inserted into the Viega ProPress fitting and the Viega ProPress fitting are not exposed to excessive heat
Can I weld next to an existing Viega ProPress fitting?
Installers must weld 4" away from the Viega ProPress connection in order to protect the sealing element when welding pipe adjacent to pipe joined with a Viega ProPress fitting. Installers should take these additional precautions in order to keep the Viega ProPress connection cool:
- Wrapping the connection with a cold wet rag
- Protecting the connection with a weld blanket
- Prefabricating welded connections prior to installing the pressed fitting
- Making sure the pipe has cooled before installing the fitting
- Consistently applying “spray type” spot freezing
Additionally, when welding on the same pipe as a Viega ProPress fitting, installers must weld at least three feet away from the Viega ProPress connection to protect the sealing element. If three feet is not possible, installers should follow the precautions listed above in order to keep the Viega ProPress connection cool.-----------------
As an authorized distributor of Viega, Cooney Brothers stocks a wide variety of fittings for ProPress Copper, ProPress Stainless, MegaPress Stainless, and MegaPress Carbon Steel. Shop over 1200 Viega products on our website or learn more about the Viega press methods here.